Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sound through HDMI and an nVidia GeForce 210

Continuing on from the previous post about my new HP Microserver, I was mainly interested in seeing how the CPUs did playing a HD movie. Watching the CPU load while playing back a H.264 preview and it wasn't as bad as I expected: both cores sat around 30-60% usage, which includes background system tasks. For the usage I expect of my media server this is sufficient, it's rare that it's playing any video at the same time as anything else. It's also worth mentioning that considering the vast range of formats of most of my media it would be highly unlikely if even the majority would benefit from much offloading to the GPU, however it would be nice to have, so I was still keen on a graphics card with the necessary features.

Considering the space inside the Microserver and the positioning of the PCIe slots, I've got a rather restrictive list of graphics card requirements:

  • heat sink cannot be “thicker” than the width of a PCI slot
  • low profile
  • nVidia (Linux drivers), preferably with a GPU with good PureVideo support
  • fanless/passive
  • HDMI out, but would settle for DVI

After a bit of searching and lots of squinting at images of cards trying to determine how high the heat sinks were, we found a range of Zotac GeForce 210 cards that fit the bill. The GT210 is one of the first chips to have nVidia's latest PureVideo technology (although now superseded by generation 5 and the GT520). It has a low form factor face plate replacement in the box and the heat sink is the same thickness as the slot. The card also has a HDMI port so can be my sound card as well. The exact model I ended up ordering was the Zotac ZT-20309-10L GT 210 512MB DDR3 LP Silent for £34. I would have preferred a 1GB RAM model but due to availability in the region I settled on the 512MB.

Installing the card was trickier than I thought. There's some annoying bits of metal at the back of the Micro case that the top of the graphics card's face plate was hitting. Had to bend the metal out of the way with a thin screw driver to get the card to slide back properly. Aside from that, the heat sink fits snugly along the side of the case.

HD video play back performance appears unchanged. This could be for several reasons: first off I've only attempted some very basic tuning of Ubuntu and VLC, there's surely many things I haven't tried. Secondly the format of my test MPEG-4 video may not be one that nVidia's PureVideo can offload. More importantly for me at this time is sound: Ubuntu is not playing out of the HDMI audio controller.

Some research and a lot of time later (this project was shelved for a few weeks), I've got Ubuntu playing out the nVidia audio controller. The XBMC wiki and Arch Linux forums contained the necessary tips, namely the installation of the ALSA sound modules, setting the correct options for the snd-hda-intel kernel module and loading the ALSA module into PulseAudio. The probe mask has ALSA using the nVidia codec of the card:

luke@nexus-micro:~$ grep snd-hda-intel /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2

Reboot or rmmod / modprobe, then see what device ALSA detects:

luke@nexus-micro:~$ aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0


ALSA says Card 0 Device 3 so that goes into PulseAudio :

luke@nexus-micro:~$ grep alsa /etc/pulse/default.pa load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3

And done. Next I'll be looking more into video playback performance and maybe doing a disk swap from old media server to new media server.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Luke,
    I am contemplating getting one of these to run WMC on Win7HP. I will hide it away with a HD capture card and connect to it via a WD TV LIVE and an XBOX360. Can you advise the feasibility of adding the card and can you also advise whether there will still be room for a second 250GB for a mirror?

    Long term I may use it for a mythTv back end server but right now I have the XBOX ready to go as a DLNA renderer and WMC extender.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, you already answered my second question. Just interested in the ability to add the HD Freeview card, sadly few are half height/half depth cards, certainly few if you also want hardware capture and no cpu offload.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CamPatUK,

    Are you looking to add the Free View card instead of the video card or along side the video card? There is a PCIe-1x slot next to the PCIe-8x slot (towards the middle of the case), but I doubt you'll find a half height tuner card that's 1x, I think the slot is just there for extra USB or WiFi. I don't have anything in mine.

    You're right though, any card you put in the 8x slot is subject to the tight space requirements. It was difficult to get exact dimensions of cards, so whatever you want to put in there you need to ask yourself "could I fit two of these cards side by side in adjacent PCI slots" and if you can't because the heat sink is too big, it's too big for this case.

    Regarding your disk questions, there are 4 3.5" drive slots with a SATA back plane - no cable, you just slide the disk into the connectors - so you could fit 4 2TB disks if you wanted to. I haven't tried any on board RAID as I'm after a custom storage solution, with the right Windows drivers it would probably be fine.

    There's also an optical drive bay but there are no cables for this ready and waiting, you'd have to wire it yourself which looked tricky at first glance (I installed off a USB). It might be possible to install one of those 2.5" disk shelves for an optical bay and get another 4 disks, but the cabling would be really tight - not to mention lack of ports on the motherboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I had similar problems (slightly different card though) with Zotac G210 Synergy Edition 1GB DDR3 DVI HDMI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card, but on Ubuntu 11.10 (default Unity install) it works 'almost' out of the box.

    To get it working just had to change default card profile within Sound Settings. For me it was "Digital Stereo (HDMI) nr 2 Output"

    Good luck,
    konfident

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take it that you finished your Media Server and have been using it for a year or so.

    Did anything else pop up that may be a problem. Does it all run smoothly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scrapped Ubuntu after a while for Windows 7 - can't remember why now, probably just faster to get a base install up and running. I also have an unhealthy attachment to iTunes and Spotify and it's just "easier" to go Windows for this.

      Delete
  6. Would a card like this fit? It has a slightly raised heat sink?
    http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/210SLTC1GD3L/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that definitely won't fit in the case - looking at the front-on view I'd say that heat sink doubles the thickness of the card to 2 PCI slots. You need something that is literally only 1 PCI slot wide.

      Delete
  7. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.!
    HDMI 2.0

    ReplyDelete